Spicy Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (2 cups chopped)
- 2 carrots (1 ½ cups chopped)
- 2 celery (1 cup chopped)
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- ½ head of a small green cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of oregano (dried)
- 1 28 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups of water
- 2 cans (15 oz each) Garbanzo Beans (drained)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Sauté the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes)
- Add jalapeño and cabbage. Sauté 1-2 minutes more.
- Add spices and tomatoes. Mix ingredients until combined.
- Add the water, garbanzo beans, salt/pepper and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Cover soup and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve hot.
Lindsay is a Dietitian and she created this soup as a lighter and meatless version of chicken tortilla soup. Replacing chicken with garbanzo beans and tortillas with green cabbage makes for a healthy and delicious meal. You could also switch out the garbanzo beans for black beans. This recipe makes a large pot of soup, so it is great for a crowd or you can freeze it for later.